Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Tellico Iron Works



Marker ID: THC 1F 12
Location:
County: Monroe
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally built by the Cherokee Indians prior to the War of 1812, these iron works were acquired from the Indians in 1824 by James Bradley and Michael Carroll. They were purchased in 1846 by Elisha Johnson, who built 'The Mansion" across the river. The works were operated until 1864, when they were destroyed by a detachment of Sherman's Federal Army under General Morgan Smith.