Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The John T. Cunningham Memorial Bridge



Marker ID: THC 3C 56
Location: at the intersection of Zinc Plant Road and River Road, Clarksville, TN
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 36° 30.183    W 087° 22.837
  36.50305    -87.38061666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Cunningham Bridge, completed in 1925, once spanned the Cumberland River here. Erected on the site of the old Gaiser's Ferry. It was one of the first bridges to be built by the newly-formed Tennessee Highway Department and was the first major federal-aid project in Tennessee. It was fabricated by the Nashville Bridge Company and named for John T. Cunningham, a former State Representative and Montgomery County judge.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.