Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. John Missionary Baptist Church



Marker ID: THC 3C 79
Location: on 7th St, between Main St. and Franklin, Clarksville, TN
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 36° 31.793    W 087° 21.083
  36.52988333    -87.35138333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. John Missionary Baptist Church


Founded by the Tennessee Freedman's Bureau. St. John Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1866 on the corner of Ford and St. John Street in a small house with a small congregation of formerly enslaved persons. Its first pastor, Henry Wilcox, also taught school there. Eleven years later the church moved to 710 Main and 7th Street. In 1934 the church burned and was subsequently rebuilt. Rev. Wilbur Daniel, the congregation's 16th pastor, became the first African American graduate of Austin Peay State College, earning a master's degree in 1957. St. John served the community when it opened the first African American Day Care Center. They served preschool children for more than two decades. In 1998 the church moved to Tiny Town Road.

Tennessee Historical Commission.