Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Union City Junction



Marker ID:  
Location: 210-260 Graham Dr, Union City, TN
County: Obion
Coordinates: N 36° 26.23    W 089° 4.16
  36.43716666    -89.06933333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Union City Junction


Union City started as a railroad town :General George Washington Gibbs received 5,000 acres from Martin Armstrong, of North Carolina, in 1829 in exchange for Gibbs' legal services.

A charter was received to build tracks from Nashville to Mississippi River. General Gibbs had the charter amended so the line would end on his property. On February 22, 1854, Gibbs established a town and intended to name it Junction City because it stood where two railroads met. Another town had already claimed the name, so Gibbs named his town Union City.