Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Alpine School



Marker ID: THC 2D 24
Location: Overton County, in front of manse in Alpine
County: Overton
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized by Dr. John L. Dillard on top of Alpine Mountain in 1821, the school was moved off the mountain after the Civil War and named Alpine Institute. A.H. Roberts, later governor, taught there in early 1890s. The school was revived in 1917 by the Board of National Missions of the U.S.A. Presbyterian Church. The elementary school in 1936 and the high school in 1946 were turned over to Overton County.