Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fisk Female Academy



Marker ID: THC 2D 33
Location: TN 85, Overton County, Hilham
County: Overton
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1806, the first school for females in the South opened near this site. Its charter was granted by the Tennessee General Assembly in 1805. Educator Moses Fisk and Sampson Williams each donated 1,000 acres for its use. The building burned in 1817, was rebuilt and used as a school for males. Fisk operated the academy until shortly before his death in 1843.