Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Columbus



Marker ID: THC 2A 48
Location: U.S. 411, Polk County, 7.1 miles south of McMinn County line
County: Polk
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

About 2 miles N., now extinct, was the first county seat of Polk County. First court met there March 7, 1840, with Hamilton Bradford, Absalom Coalman, and Solomon Stansbury justices, David Ragan sheriff, pro tem., and James Parks clerk. On May 4, a new court of 15 justices, with Zachariah Rose, chairman and John Shamblin, sheriff was installed. County seat moved to Benton, August 3, 1840.