Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Capshaw School



Marker ID: THC 2D 60
Location: 1 Cougar Lane, Cookeville, TN
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 36° 9.483    W 085° 29.656
  36.15805    -85.49426666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Capshaw School


Founded in 1939, Capshaw School was part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal Program. Named in honor of Cookeville attorney and co-founder of Dixie College Robert Byrd Capshaw, the land that the school sits on, was once part of the Capshaw farm. The original structure was built with labor from the Works Progress Administration, (WPA). Razed in 2002, following construction of a new building, the school once served students in grades one through eight.

Tennessee Historical Commission.