Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Smith’s Crossroads



Marker ID: THC 2B 28
Location: intersection of Market Street (Tennessee Route 27) and W. Delaware Avenue, Dayton, TN
County: Rhea
Coordinates: N 35° 29.233    W 085° 1.165
  35.48721666    -85.01941666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM23YT
 



Text:

Named for pioneer settler William Smith, a New England teacher and merchant, who settled here in 1820, it was the junction of the Kiuka War Trace (later Black Fox Trail) to the Cumberland and the main north-south Indian trail to the Great Lakes. Here in 1838 the Trail of Tears crossed the Tennessee Valley from Blythes Ferry. Named Sequatchie with the coming of the railroad in the late 1870s, it was soon renamed Dayton. Scottish industialists developed coal and iron resources in the 1880s.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.