Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Blythe Ferry



Marker ID: THC 2B 33
Location: near the south end of the Tennessee River (Tri-County Veterans) Bridge on TN-60 at the Rhea/Meigs County line, Birchwood, TN
County: Rhea
Coordinates: N 35° 24.36    W 085° 0.992
  35.406    -85.01653333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XDR
 



Text:

Around 1809, William Blythe, a Cherokee, established a ferry at this site to provide transportation for the settlers to the west and the Cherokees to the east. During the 1838 Trail of Tears, it was an important crossing, and it played a military role during the Civil War. Blythe Ferry continued in operation until replaced by a bridge in 1994.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.


Notes:

There are two “Blythe Ferry” markers. One is in Rheas county (2B 33) on the north side of the river and the second is in Meigs County (2B 32) on the south side of the river.