Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St Michael's Mission



Marker ID: THC 3C 42
Location: at the intersection of Hwys 49 and 257, Flewellyn, TN
County: Robertson
Coordinates: N 36° 27.571    W 086° 57.189
  36.45951666    -86.95315
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM19GB
 



Text:

About 3 1/2 mi. N.W. stands the oldest active Catholic Church in Tennesee, on land from the "Wessyngton" estate, dedicated May 8, 1842. Lumber for the rear addition, built 1934, came from the "Glenraven" estate. The tower was added in 1942, the centennial year. During 1864-65, the missioner was the famous Father Abram Ryan, "poet-priest of the Confederacy."



Tennessee Historical Commission