Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First United Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 3C 48
Location: at the corner of Hwy 49 and A C St in Springfield, TN.
County: Robertson
Coordinates: N 36° 30.567    W 086° 53.156
  36.50945    -86.88593333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1B0C
 



Text:

The First Presbyterian Church, built in 1839, is the oldest public building in current use in Robertson County, located in lot 17 of the original city plat. The bell, still in use, was given by the Cheatham family. A center partition placed men on one side, ladies on the other. Used as a stable during Union occupation, hoofmarks are still visible on the old floor. The sanctuary was added in 1897 by Thomas Pepper in memory of his wife.



Tennessee Historical Commission