Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Old Jefferson ~ 1.5 miles



Marker ID: THC 3A 61
Location: at the intersection of Nissan Parkway (U.S. 102) and Jeferson Pike (TN 266), Smyrna, TN
County: Rutherford
Coordinates: N 35° 59.727    W 086° 29.581
  35.99545    -86.49301666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

William Nash opened the first store here in 1803; first country courthouse was here in 1804, following first meeting of court at Thomas Rucker's house. It was a stopping place on the Georgia Road, & an important river port & trading post. In 1811, the county seat moved to Murfreesboro; thereafter, until 1815, the courthouse housed Jefferson Seminary of Learning.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission