Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Rutherford County / Murfreesboro



Marker ID: THC 3A 68
Location: Broad St (US 41) south of Parkview Terrace, Murfreesboro, TN 
County: Rutherford
Coordinates: N 35° 49.320    W 086° 22.510
  35.822    -86.37516666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9CB1
 



Text:

(Front):
Rutherford County
Established 1803; named in honor of
Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford

of the Revolutionary Army; appointed by President Washington as a Member of the Legislature for the Southwest Territory, which later became the State of Tennessee.

(Back):
Murfreesboro
First settlers came in 1799; the settlement was first named Cannonsburg. It was actualy founded in 1811, on land donated by Capt. William Lytle, who stipulated that the town should be named for Hardy Murfree, a Revolutionary veteran of Williamson County. From June, 1818 through April, 1826, it was the capital of the state.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.