Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Sevierville



Marker ID: THC 1B 44
Location: E. Main St. (US 441) at Court Ave., Sevierville, TN
County: Sevier
Coordinates: N 35° 52.125    W 083° 33.905
  35.86875    -83.56508333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM11BP
 



Text:

Settled about 1783, this town, first called "Forks of Little Pigeon," was organized as county seat of Sevier Co., 1795. Indian trader, Isaac Thomas' home was first courthouse, fort and tavern. Jas. McMahon gave 25 acre tract for the town, which was later named for John Sevier, first governor of the state.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.