Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Sevierville



Marker ID: THC 1B 47
Location: U.S. 441, Sevier County, south city limits of Sevierville
County: Sevier
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Settled about 1783, this town, first called "Forks of Little Pigeon," was organized as county seat of Sevier Co., 1795. Indian trader, Isaac Thomas' home was first courthouse, fort and tavern. Jas. McMahon gave 25 acre tract for the town, which was later named for John Sevier, first governor of the state.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.