Historic Markers Across Tennessee



To the free people of America



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: on Walker Camp Prong (U.S. 441) near Clingman's Dome Road, Gatlinburg, TN
County: Sevier
Coordinates: N 35° 36.653    W 083° 25.578
  35.61088333    -83.4263
Waymark: None
 



Text:

“We meet today to dedicate the mountains, streams, and forests to the service of the American People.”
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
September 2, 1940

The Rockefeller Memorial commemorates the efforts of those whose vision and resources helped establish this park. The memorial is named for the mother of John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Rockefeller donated $5 million of the $12 million required to purchase most of the park’s 520,000 acres. From this platform, President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated Great Smoky Mountains National Park on September 2. 1940.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park was a grand experiment; never before had a National Park been created by buying private lands. But in the 1920s and 30s, the states of North Carolina and Tennessee, with the support of thousands of citizens across the country, purchased more than 6,000 tracts of land, then donated them to the federal government.

Erected by Great Smoky Mountains National Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.