Historic Markers Across Tennessee



James Crawford Murphy ~ 1807-1894



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Main St (U.S. 441) near Court Ave., Sevierville, TN
County: Sevier
Coordinates: N 35° 52.142    W 083° 33.921
  35.86903333    -83.56535
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM11QZ
 



Text:

Benefactor of Murphy College 1890-1936, for whom it was named, this prominent farmer and merchant first come to Sevierville as a tanner in 1833. He returned again to Sevier county 1847 with his wife, Mary “Polly” Smith (1811-1894), settling along the middle prong of the Little Pigeon River near Harrisburg. Acquiring the title “Colonel” from his service in the Tennessee Militia, Murphy donated the land for the building of a house of worship for the congregations of Methodist Episcopal North and Methodist South in 1885, today known as Murphy's Chapel United Methodist Church. The Murphy's had many descendants still living as farmers on the original homeplace and many sons, grandsons, and great grandsons who had businesses on this square.

Erected 1986 by Sevier Museum of History and Art.