Historic Markers Across Tennessee



James McMahan ~ 1750 -1831



Marker ID:  
Location: W. Main St (U.S. 441) near Court Ave., Sevierville, TN
County: Sevier
Coordinates: N 35° 52.131    W 083° 33.9
  35.86885    -83.565
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM11QN
 



Text:

First Register of deeds of Sevier County, Tennessee, in 1796, James McMahan set aside the original twenty-five acres for the creation of the township at "The Forks of The Little Pigeon" in 1795. An immigrant from Ireland, McMahan was married to Rachel Calvert (1770-1840), a descendant of George Calvert, Lord of Baltimore, They made Sevier County their home, rearing their thirteen children on their vast farmland along the east prong of the Little Pigeon River including this site of Sevierville's Public Square.

Erected 1986 by Sevier Museum of History and Art.