Historic Markers Across Tennessee



William M. Whaley ~ 1789-1880



Marker ID:  
Location: E. Main St. (US 441) at Court Ave., Sevierville, TN
County: Sevier
Coordinates: N 35° 52.123    W 083° 33.917
  35.86871666    -83.56528333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM11R2
 



Text:

One of the many volunteers of the War of 1812 which earned Tennessee its nickname, William Whaley came to Sevier County in 1810. A farmer and later Baptist minister, Whaley married in 1811 Mary Ann Ogle (1793-1880). A resident of the White Oak Flats area, now known as Gatlinburg. Miss Ogle was the daughter of William Ogle (1756-1803) and Martha Huskey Ogle (1760-1826), who chartered the White Oak Flats Baptist Church with the Whaley's and others in 1817 to become an arm of the "Church in the Forks." The Whaley's in 1830 settled in Greenbriar along the banks of the middle prong of the Little Pigeon River near the current boundary of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Their ten sons and five daughters produced many descendants of Sevier County.

Erected 1986 by Sevier Museum of History and Art.