Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Southwestern at Memphis



Marker ID: THC 4E 26
Location: Shelby County, in Memphis, North Parkway
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Its progenitor was Montgomery Masonic College, founded at Clarksville, 1848, with Dr. W.M. Hopkins president. Renamed Stewart College, 1855, when the Nashville Synod assumed control, it became a college of the Presbyterian Church in the USA, 1861, being incorporated as Southwestern Presbyterian University, 1875. It moved here in 1925.