Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Fort San Ferdinando



Marker ID: THC 4E 28
Location: on N Main St at A. W. Willis Ave., Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 09.413    W 090° 02.897
  35.15688333    -90.04828333
Waymark: WMYA94
 



Text:

Fort San Ferdinando


Hereabouts, in 1795, the Spanish built Fort San Fernando de Barrancas. It was here tat Don Miquel Gaysoso De Lamos, first governor, hoisted the flag of Spain for the first time, and took possession of the territory in the name of his Sovereign


Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.