Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Methodist Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 52
Location: in Memphis, 2nd Avenue and Poplar Street
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized 1826, the first building was of frame, with split log benches, built 1832. A new building was erected in 1845. During Federal occupation, a minister detailed by the Union commander occupied the pulpit; it was later closed temporarily by yellow fever, otherwise has operated continuously since foundation. The present building was completed in 1892.