Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Market Square



Marker ID: THC 4E 68
Location: Shelby County, in Memphis, Main Street between Market and Winchester streets
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Before selling Memphis lots, developers set aside this park as Market Square in 1819. Facing it was the first courthouse, built in 1820, which was also used as a church and newspaper office. Near the square was a frontier hotel, the first hotel, and the first public school building, completed in 1872. The First Playground Association equipment was installed here in 1909, following its designation as Brinkley Park in 1906.