Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Court Square



Marker ID: THC 4E 70
Location: Shelby County, in Memphis, on the Court Square
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This green spot in the heart of downtown Memphis has been a mark of distinction to residents and visitors for generations. It also became the traditional place for large public meetings, band concerts and parade reviews. Before there were other city playgrounds or a zoo, forerunners were here. The Hebe fountain, erected here in 1876, has become the most familiar symbol of changing Memphis. The original town and courthouse were several blocks north. This park was out in the woods, containing only a rude cabin used as a church and school. Farseeing owners had donated it and three other parks before they sold the first town lots in 1819.