Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Lee House



Marker ID: THC 4E 71
Location: Shelby County, in Memphis, Adams and North Fourth streets
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.813    W 090° 2.832
  35.14688333    -90.0472
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Built in 1869 by James Lee, Jr., (1832-1905) lawyer, riverman and leader in the development of Memphis, the first Lee House was designed by architect Joseph Willis. In this home of Italianate-Victorian design, also lived James Lee, Sr. (1808¬1889), who in 1866 founded the Lee Line with its home port at Memphis. Their packets and "flooding palace" excursion boats plied the Mississippi and Ohio rivers between Cincinnati and New Orleans.