Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Salem Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 80
Location: TN 14, Shelby County, 18 miles north of Memphis on Atoka Road
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 26.156    W 089° 44.091
  35.43593333    -89.73485
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1B31
 



Text:

Salem Associate
Reformed Presbyterian Church


Organized June 19, 1836, by Rev. Henry Bryson, D.D., with 053 members. First house of worship was a log house built on 4 acres donated by Abner Mathews. First pastor, Rev. John Wi1son, served from 1837 to 1865. Having fostered at least five other churches, Salem has been called a "mother of churches." Present sanctuary, erected in 1940, is the fourth building on this site. Adjoining cemetery predates the church and contains graves of Indians and slaves.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission


Notes:

The THC handbook shows this marker as in Shelby County, but appears to be in Tipton County instead