Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The First Railroad in West Tennessee / The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad



Marker ID: THC 4E 84
Location: 495 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.385    W 090° 2.442
  35.13975    -90.0407
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3N07
 



Text:

The First Railroad in West Tennessee
The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad


Organized in 1835, the LaGrange and Memphis Railroad operated the first train from Memphis 4 1/2 miles on March 29, 1842, on the present roadbed of the Southern Railway. The depot which was destroyed by fire February 1, 1853 was located here. The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad and the depot were acquired by the Memphis and Charleston Railroad about 1846. The Southern Railway succeeded the Memphis and Charleston.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.