Historic Markers Across Tennessee



George Jackson



Marker ID: THC 4E 96
Location: Beale Street between 2nd and 3rd, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 08.361    W 090° 03.009
  35.13935    -90.05015
Waymark: WMYAA6
 



Text:

George Jackson


In 1893, George Jackson established on Beale Street the Jackson Drug Store, also known as the New Era Pharmacy, the first drug store in Memphis to be owned and operated by a black person. Jackson received degrees from Oberlin College and the University of Michigan School of Pharmacy. He was a member of the faculty of the University of West Tennessee and a charter member of the Memphis Chapter, NAACP.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.