Historic Markers Across Tennessee



LeMoyne-Owen College



Marker ID: THC 4E 103
Location: 764 Walker Avenue, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

LeMoyne-Owen College, originally known as LeMoyne Normal and Commercial School, opened its doors circa 1870 on Orleans Street. The school operated under the auspices of the American Missionary Association and was funded through a gift of Dr. F.J. LeMoyne. Established at its present site in 1914, it became a junior college in 1924 and was chartered by the State of Tennessee in the 1930s as a 4-year college. In 1968, it merged with Owen Junior College, founded in 1954 by the Tennessee Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.