Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Collins Chapel Colored Methodist Episcopal Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 108
Location: Shelby County, in Memphis, 674-78 Washington Avenue
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.738    W 090° 2.252
  35.14563333    -90.03753333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Collins Chapel
Colored Methodist Episcopal Church


A "Daughter" of Wesley Chapel (later, the First United Methodist Church), Collins Chapel was organized in 1841 and purchased this site in 1859. Named for its first pastor, J.T.C. Collins, it predates the formation of the CME denomination. Collins Chapel operated the Collins Chapel Hospital and hosted the conference which approved the establishment of the periodical, The Christian Index.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission