Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Booker T. Washington High School



Marker ID: THC 4E 111
Location: Lauderdale Street, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

From a two-room, two-teacher structure known as Clay Street School, Booker T. Washington High School evolved as the first public high school for black students in Memphis. About 1911, the school was relocated to an abandoned building on Webster Avenue, where it was known as Kortrecht High School. During the 1926-27 school year, it was moved into a new structure on Lauderdale Street and was named in honor of black educator and leader, Booker T. Washington (1856-1915).