Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shelby County Training School



Marker ID: THC 4E 125
Location: 5909 Woodstock-Cuba Road, Woodstock, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1913, Shelby County Training School was established for African-American students. Boarding students performed all necessary chores including gardening, cooking, cleaning and laundering. Prof. TJ. Johnson was the school's first principal. Under Prof. R.J. Roddy, the school became noted for its strict high school course guidelines. Later known as Woodstock High School, in 1923, S.C.T.S. graduated its first high school class of three students. In 1970, under Prof. John Strong's tenure, the school was desegregated and became an elementary school.


Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.