Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The University of West Tennessee



Marker ID: THC 4E 128
Location: 785 East McLemore, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 6.932    W 090° 2.164
  35.11553333    -90.03606666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1900, the University of West Tennessee was established in Jackson by Dr. Miles V. Lynk, M.D. Seven years later, he moved it to Memphis. A graduate of Meharry Medical College, Dr. Lynk was editor of The Medical and Surgical Observer, the first medical journal for Blacks, and served as the school's president. UWT offered degrees in a variety of medical fields and played an important role in providing health-care education for Blacks in Memphis. The school closed in 1924.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.