Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mt. Moriah Baptist Church



Marker ID: THC 4E 137
Location: 2634 Carnes Ave, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 6.764    W 089° 58.466
  35.11273333    -89.97443333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Mt. Moriah Baptist Church


Mt. Moriah was founded in 1879. The oldest church in the area, it was relocated to this site in 1893, predating the Orange Mound community by seven years. A vernacular-sandstone building, the present edifice was completed in 1926, during the pastorate of the Rev. A.D. Bell (1926-1945). The Rev. Roy W. Norsworthy, a Memphis civil rights leader, served as pastor from 1946 to 1986. In 1996, the 300-member church, under the Rev. Harvey B. Jackson, hosted the Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.


Tennessee Historical Commission.