Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Manassas High School / The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium



Marker ID: THC 4E 146
Location: 1111 N Manassas St, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 10.244    W 090° 1.912
  35.17073333    -90.03186666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Lucie Eddie Campbell
Composer, Educator and Activist

—1885-1963 —


Manassas High School


Manassas High School was established by Spencer Johnson and others in 1899 on the west side of Manassas Street. Originally a two-room framed structure in 1900, more rooms were added between 1902 and 1904. In 1918, a 16-room stucco building was erected. Additional improvements were made between 1920 and 1980. In 1924 Manassas High School, known as one of the largest Rosenwald schools and the first four-year accredited public school for Blacks in the county school system, graduated its first senior high school class.


The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium


The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium was erected in 1927. It was named in honor of Mrs. Cora Price Taylor (1885-1932), who served as the first high school principal of Manassas from 1909-1929. She personally hauled bricks by truck from Millington to help build the auditorium that hosted school assemblies, public affairs and community events. In 1976, this historic auditorium was demolished to make room for improvements to Manassas High School

Tennessee Historical Commission.