Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. Agnes Academy



Marker ID: THC 4E 150
Location: 4830 Walnut Grove Rd, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 7.864    W 089° 54.061
  35.13106666    -89.90101666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Agnes Academy


Founded January 10, 1851, St. Agnes Academy was sponsored by the Dominican Sisters from Kentucky. The school continued to operate during the Civil War and some nuns were pressed into service as nurses. Through the yellow fever epidemics of the 1870s, the modern struggle for civil rights, and other social movements, members of the order exercised their civic responsibility. Since its beginning at Vance and Orleans, St. Agnes Academy has provided a values-based, academically excellent Catholic education.


Tennessee Historical Commission.