Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Memphis Queen II



Marker ID: THC 4E 164
Location: on Riverside Dr, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.695    W 090° 3.361
  35.14491666    -90.05601666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Memphis Queen II


Built in 1955 by the Dubuque Boat & Boiler Company, the Memphis Queen II was the first all-steel passenger ship on the Mississippi River. Measuring 85 feet long by 43 feet wide, it features two decks, two smokestacks, and a stern wheel reminiscent of a 19th century riverboat. Local residents and tourists boarded this vessel from its mooring on the cobblestoned Memphis waterfront for excursions on "Ol' Man River." On July 5, 2006, the Memphis Queen II was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Tennessee Historical Commission.