Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Calvary Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: 1663 Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 6.081    W 090° 1.159
  35.10135    -90.01931666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Consecrated in 1867 to serve the booming populations of the Catholic Irish, Germans and Italians, Calvary became the second Catholic Cemetery in Shelby County. Msgr. Martin Riordan, V.G., of St. Patrick Parish, was a leading proponent and advocate during the early development of Calvary Cemetery along with Terence McCarney, one of the early superintendents. The Cemetery contains the remains of over 45,000 of the faithful departed, include the Martyrs of Memphis; Mary Magdalene Hodges, recipient of the Miracle of Memphis; C.P.J. Mooney, Commercial Appeal editor; and many others, some famous and some known only to God. Many generations of the same families, poor to rich, are buried in Calvary. Almost every religious group that served the Catholic population in Memphis is represented at Calvary, which is still active and growing.

Erected 1999 by Shelby County Historical Commission and Catholic Diocese of Memphis.