Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 102 North Second Street, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.861    W 090° 3.015
  35.14768333    -90.05025
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The oldest public building in Memphis and the first Episcopal Church in Shelby County. Organized August 6, 1832 by the Reverend Thomas Wright. The church house started 1838 was consecrated May 12, 1844 by the Right Reverend James Hervey Otey, first Bishop of Tennessee, the Reverend Philip W. Alston, Rector. The Reverend Robert P. Atkinson, Rector, 1969.

Erected 1969 by Contributed by Memphis Sesquicentennial, Inc., 1969.