Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Hunt-Phelan Home



Marker ID:  
Location: 533 Beale Street, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.321    W 090° 2.63
  35.13868333    -90.04383333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

During the Civil War, the house was commandeered by General Ulysses Grant as his Memphis Headquarters; Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, and a friend of the Hunt Family, also spent time in the house. Later, it was used as a Federal Hospital. During Reconstruction, it served as an office of the Freedman's Bureau, and a school for former slaves was on the grounds.

Construction of the house started in 1828 and was completed in 1832. It has been owned by members of the same family to the present.

Erected 1996 by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Tennessee, Memphis Committee.