Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Second Presbyterian Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 4055 Poplar Avenue (US 72), Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 07.418    W 089° 55.568
  35.12363333    -89.92613333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3JZV
 



Text:

This church was founded on Dec. 28, 1844, on Front St. near Gayoso. It has since become the parent of ten daughter churches. It erected its first owned building in 1849 at Main and Beale. During the Civil War, Federal troops occupied that building. President Lincoln wrote an order for them to "get out and leave it and its owners alone."

In 1893 this church dedicated a new building at Hernando and Pontotoc Streets. Architects were F. Kees and E. C. Jones. In 1949 the church began its worship at this present site. The Philadelphia architectural firm of Harold Wagoner designed the first buildings.

Shelby County Historical Commission and Second Presbyterian Church