Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Lindenwood Christian Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 2400 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 08.015    W 089° 58.892
  35.13358333    -89.98153333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MT5
 



Text:

(front):
The Lindenwood Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) This congregation began meeting in the home of Simon Bradford at Frint and Talbot in 1837. Encouraged by visits from Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the first Chirstian Church in Memphis was organized in 1843. Services were held in a school building at Mulberry and Linden Street, which was purchased in 1851. A two-story brick building was built on the property in 1859, which was occupied by Union forces during the Civil War. called Linden Avenue Christian Church, it remained at that location for 110 years. In 1948 the church purchased property at Union and East Parkway and relocated to the site in 1953. A Recreational Building with gymnasium was completed in 1962, and a new sanctuary dedicated in 1966.

(rear):
Ministers serving the Linden Avenue
Lindenwood Christian Church
B.F. Hall, 1847-1852
Robert E. Chew, 1853-1855
W.J. Barbee, 1855-1862
R.A. Cook, 1863-1865
T.W. Caskey, 1865-1868
Curtis J. Smith, 1868-1869
David Walk, 1869-1878
J.M. Tribble, 1879-1882
George W. Sweeney, 1883-1885
John B. Briney, 1886-1888
J.W. Ingram, 1888-1892
John A. Brooks, 1892-1895
W.E. Ellis, 1895-1897
R.D. Rice, 1897-1899
W.H. Sheffer, 1900-1916
Walter M. White, 1916-1937
H. Thomas Wood, 1937-1968
James L. Christensen, 1968-1974
C. Roy Stauffer, 1974-

Shelby County Historical Society and the Elders of Lindenwood Christian Church