Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Chambers Chapel United Methodist Church & Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: on Chambers Chapel Road, Arlington, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 12.775    W 089° 41.933
  35.21291666    -89.69888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6J46
 



Text:

center>Chambers Chapel United Methodist Church

Martha Ann Vaughan Chambers donated an acre of land near Chambers Mineral Springs as a site for a Methodist Eiscopal Church South on Nov. 6, 1869. Three wooden frame buildings have stood on this location. The first was built in 1870 and destroyed by a tornado about twenty years later. The second, a large one-room frame church burned on Dec. 4, 1927. The third was build in 1928 and had a brick facade added in 1959. The original trustees for the church were Madison H. Chambers, Dr. Fred T. Sweet, Lt. Col James Mortimer Crews (CSA), John James and W.P. Thompson. Witnesses to the 1896 deed were Henry Talbot Bragg and William A. Redd.


Chambers Chapel Cemetery


Many early Shelby County settlers ofthe Arlington area and generations of their descendants are interred in the adjoining church cemetery. This cemetery in endowed for continuing use of member families with perpetual care ensured.

Shelby County Historical Commission and Chambers Chapel United Methdist Church