Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Arlington



Marker ID:  
Location: 5854 Airline Road, Arlington, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 17.151    W 089° 40.288
  35.28585    -89.67146666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6PQM
 



Text:

Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became Haysville, incorporated in 1878. The name was changed to Arlington in 1883, and again incorporated in 1900.

The Arlington Chapter of the APTA (Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities) and Shelby County Historical Commission