Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Battle of Collierville



Marker ID:  
Location: at the town square on West Poplar Avenue at Main Street, Collierville, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 02.536    W 089° 39.885
  35.04226666    -89.66475
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM40CG
 



Text:

(front)
On Oct. 11, 1863, Gen. James R. Chalmers, with a force of about 3,000 Confederate cavarlrymen, consisting of the 7th TN, 13th TN, 18th MS, 2nd MO, 2nd Ar, and the 3rd MS, approached Collierville from the south along Mt. Pleasent Road. Collierville, a Union supply base, was occupied continuously during the war by Union forces, the town being heavily fortified and occupied by the 66tn IN infantry. At this time a battle ensued and the ground was heavily contested. By coincidence, on the same day, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman was dispatched from Memphis to start his "March to the Sea."

(rear)
He was surprised as his train arrived at the height of the battle. Gen. Sherman threw his escort company into the fray and quickly moved to the depot for protection. The Confederates captured this train containing supplies and a number of fine horses including his General's favorite mare, "Dolly." The battle continued for about 3 hrs. The Confederates withdrew realizing heavy Union reinforcements were in route. Sherman ordered many of the town's buildings burned. The engagement was the bloodiest battle of the war in Shelby County. Confederate casualties 51, Union 110.

Sons of Confederate Veterans Wigfall Greys Camp 1560.