Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Collierville, Tenn.



Marker ID:  
Location: at the town square on West Poplar Avenue at Main Street, Collierville, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 02.535    W 089° 39.876
  35.04225    -89.6646
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2YJW
 



Text:

Collierville, first known as Oak Grove was founded in about 1835 and was named for Jesse R. Collier. The county's second oldest town was near Mt. Pleasant Rd. and Hwy. 57 on land of Adams, Floyd, Hodge, Collier and the Tharp Grant. In 1837, the first postmaster was John Koen, and Peter Adams gave 2 acresfor the first RR depot-1852, Chartered 17 Feb. 1870, the town elected J. Abington mayor.

Shelby County Historical Commission