Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Brick Church



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Chelsea Ave. and 7th St, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 09.784    W 090° 02.316
  35.16306666    -90.0386
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMNM88
 



Text:

Organized in 1856 the Third Presbyterian Church was completed in 1860. Known as The Brick Church, it was a reference point in early Memphis directories. In 1861 citizens of Chelsea met in the Church and voted for secession. After Memphis was captured federal troops occupied the building using the upper floor for a hospital and the lower for their horses. In 1916 it was renamed Chelsea Avenue Presbyterian Church.

Shelby County Historical Commission



Notes:

This historic marker is affixed to the side of an abandoned church building on the north side of Memphis in a redeveloping and revitalizing area which is not far from its impoverished past.