Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Owen College 1954-1968



Marker ID:  
Location: 673 Vance Ave, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.046    W 090° 2.369
  35.1341    -90.03948333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Owen College
1954-1968



In 1946, the Tennessee Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention, a negro religious group, purchased twelve acres of ground and buildings at Vance Avenue and Orleans Street for $375,000 to begin a school. In 1954, Owen College, a two year institution named in honor of Samuel Augustus Owen, Sr. opened with Dr. Levi Watkins as president. The college served 2,326 students at this site before it merged in 1968 with LeMoyne College to become LeMoyne-Owen College. In 1970 the property was sold by LeMoyne-Owen College to Memphis City Schools for a public school site.

2012