Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Campbell Clinic



Marker ID:  
Location: 869 Madison Avenue, Memphis, TN
County: Shelby
Coordinates: N 35° 8.427    W 090° 1.96
  35.14045    -90.03266666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Campbell Clinic
Orthopaedics

—869 Madison Ave. 1920-1997 —



The Willis C. Campbell Clinic opened at this site on December 26, 1920. Originating as a one-story building, it housed a waiting room, business office, eight examining rooms, the physical therapy department, and a brace shop. Several years later, operating room and inpatient facilities were added that converted the clinic to a five story hospital and outpatient facility. At this site, over 500,000 patients were treated and over 400 Orthopaedic Residents received their training. While the headquarters of Campbell Clinic was relocated in 1993, the clinic remained at this location until 1997. A world leader in orthopaedics, Campbell Clinic continues its tradition of education and patient care with locations throughout the Memphis area.